Crock Pot Creamy Italian Chicken is a delicious dinner that’s easy to throw together. Your family will love the tender, shredded chicken in a creamy, zesty sauce!
I first had this Crock Pot creamy Italian chicken at a family dinner when my husband and I were either dating or first married.
It’s a popular recipe that I’m sure you’ve seen several times.
However, most recipes leave out a key ingredient that I think elevates the recipe and makes it so it’s not too thick and so it doesn’t have a weird texture.
My recipe works because it’s:
- Simple to make. You only need 5 ingredients to make this meal and most of them are shelf or freezer stable. This means you can easily have the ingredients on hand for nights when getting a homecooked meal on the table may seem impossible.
- Dump and go. I love Crock Pot meals where I add all of the ingredients and I don’t have to worry about dinner again until right before we eat!
- Creamy and delicious! This really is a tasty meal and while flavorful, it’s mild enough that even picky eaters
Add 5-6 chicken breasts to the bottom of a 7-quart Crock Pot.
Pour 10.5 ounces of canned cream of chicken soup, 15 ounces of chicken broth, and 0.7 ounces of dry Italian dressing mix over the chicken. Cube 8 ounces of cream cheese and drop evenly over the chicken.
Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
Once the chicken is cooked through, remove it from the Crock Pot, shred, and return to the sauce. Stir everything together to combine. Salt and pepper, if desired.
Serve over your favorite pasta, rice, or mashed potatoes.
Recipe Tips and Substitutions
You can serve this chicken with any pasta you’d like! Some ideas include rotini, penne, spaghetti, bowtie, egg noodles, or shells.
Use a slow cooker liner for super easy clean up!
If you don’t have chicken broth, you can use 2 cups of water. Or you can add 1 cup of water at the beginning and 1 cup of milk before serving.
You can also try these substitutes:
If you’d like to serve vegetables in the dish instead of on the side, you can add them in during the last hour of cooking. Try broccoli, peas, mushrooms, or asparagus.
The cook time for this recipe will be a little different based on what type of slow cooker you’re using. Mine is a 7 quart Crock Pot (affiliate link) that cooks very fast, so this recipe is done in about 4 hours on low. The cook times listed in this recipe are a suggestion, so you may need to adjust depending on how your slow cooker cooks.
It’s always recommended that you cook your meat on the low setting in the Crock Pot for the most tender results.
More Like This
Looking for more easy Crock Pot dinners? You’ll love these!
- Crock Pot Roast With Potatoes and Carrots
- 5 Ingredient Asian Chicken Thighs
- Cafe Rio Chicken
- Crock Pot Italian Roast
- 3 Ingredient Pork Chops
What To Serve With Creamy Italian Chicken
Wondering what to serve with this creamy Italian chicken recipe? It always helps when someone else makes the meal plan for you! Here are a few of our favorites side dishes to pair with Crock Pot Italian chicken:
- Whipped Feta Dip
- Fried Zucchini Slices
- Mozzarella Sticks
- Scrambled Eggs with Zucchini
- Green Beans
- Posh Squash
- Asparagus with Hollandaise Sauce
- Caesar Salad
- Cilantro Chickpea Salad
- Strawberry Spinach Salad
- Kale Salad
- Caprese Salad
- Garlic Bread
- Cheesy French Bread
- Rhodes Rolls Breadsticks
You can make creamy Italian chicken with frozen chicken breats, but you’ll want to take into account the longer cooking times. It will likely take 6 hours on low and 4 hours on high to make this recipe with frozen chicken.
To make cream cheese Italian chicken in the Instant Pot, add all of the ingredients to your Instant Pot and set it to cook manually on HIGH for 15 minutes.
Once the chicken is done, naturally release the pressure for 5 minutes.
If you’re using frozen chicken you can refer this Instant Pot cream cheese chicken recipe for more instructions.
To freeze this creamy chicken recipe, place leftovers in a gallon Ziploc bag and seal. Lay it flat in the freezer so it takes up less place.
Yes! To make creamy Italian chicken with bottled dressing you can replace 1 cup of the chicken broth or water with prepared dressing.
Crock Pot Creamy Italian Chicken
- 5-6 chicken breasts
- 10.5 ounces canned cream of chicken soup
- 15 ounces chicken broth
- 0.7 ounces dry Italian dressing mix
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- salt and pepper, if desired
- cooked pasta, rice, or mashed potatoes, for serving
- Add chicken breasts to the bottom of a 7-quart Crock Pot.
- Pour cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, and dry Italian dressing mix over the chicken. Cube cream cheese and drop evenly over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, remove it from the Crock Pot, shred, and return to the sauce. Stir everything together to combine. Salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serve over your favorite pasta, rice, or mashed potatoes.