A mom of three and fellow home cook. I love pasta, grilled chicken and anything sweet. I’m here to give you easy weeknight dinners for your family. Let’s get cooking!
Chicken Pillows feature a delicious creamy chicken mixture stuffed in a buttery crescent roll. There may be several recipes out there, but this one is the easiest ever.
Would you believe the first time I had chicken pillows was just a few years ago??
Just like the classic Hawaiian Haystacks sauce, I never ate chicken pillows growing up. It wasn’t until some friends invited us over to dinner and made these delicious chicken pockets that I discovered this tasty recipe.
I’ve made these several times now, and I’ve picked up several tips after a few failed attempts that will help you in the process.
How to Make Chicken Pillows – Step by Step
PREHEAT your oven to 375º and prepare 2 cups of chicken as desired (cubed or shredded).
Once your chicken is cooked, mix the chicken together with an 8-ounce package of cream cheese with chives (starting with 4 ounces), 4 tablespoons margarine, and a dash of pepper in a large bowl. STIR until well combined.
NEXT, open an 8-ounce can of crescent rolls and form each crescent into a small square. PLACE ¼ cup of the chicken mixture on the roll dough and FOLD the corners under to seal.
BRUSH each pillow, using about 6 tablespoons of melted margarine then roll in 2/3 cup seasoned crumbs. REPEAT with remaining crescent rolls.
PLACE pillows on a baking sheet and BAKE at 375º for 20 minutes until golden brown.
FOR THE GRAVY: MELT 2 tablespoons butter then ADD 2 tablespoons flour.
STIR together and then add 1 cup of milk. STIR until thick and ADD 1/2 chicken bouillon cube.
Recipe Tips and Substitutions
While there are several ways to prepare the chicken, the easiest is to cook it in the Instant Pot and shred it before placing in a bowl.
The original recipe calls for 6 ounces of cream cheese, but they don’t sell that size anymore. I bought an 8-ounce container and started with 4 ounces. You can add more if you want the filling creamier and have a lot of chicken.
This makes a lot! I like to save 12-16 to have for a future dinner. I just cook them as directed and then lay them flat in a freezer-safe bag to freeze. To reheat, I pop them in the oven at 350º until they are warm (about 10-12 minutes).
The Pillsbury crescents can be a little tricky to form into a rectangle. To help, take the cans out of the fridge just before you form the pillows, that way the dough is chilled. I like to fold the point of the triangle up to meet one of the base points and then use my fingers to fill in the gap. It’s much easier than trying to roll the dough out.
If you don’t want to fight with the dough and want bigger pillows, you can form two crescent rolls into a rectangle by pressing the seams together.
A little filling goes a long way! The crescent rolls are fairly small, so you won’t be able to stuff them full. I always buy 3 cans of rolls to make these chicken cream cheese crescent rolls because the filling makes a lot.
If you don’t like the taste or texture, check out these ingredients to substitute for cream cheese.
More Like This
Looking for more chicken recipes? You’ll love these!
- White Chicken Chili Recipe with Cream Cheese
- Chicken Enchiladas with Sour Cream White Sauce
- Chicken and Asparagus Pasta Bake
- Chicken and Broccoli Casserole with Mayo
- Cheesy Chicken and Linguine Recipe
And if you’d like to get a 4-week meal plan featuring my recipes, just enter your email in the form above and you’ll get it straight to your inbox!
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed or shredded
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese with chives or cream cheese and onion
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Dash of pepper
- 3 (8 ounce) cans crescent rolls
- 6 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 2/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 chicken bouillon cube
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine cooked chicken, 4 ounces of cream cheese (to start), 4 tablespoons of butter, and pepper in a large bowl. Mix well and add more cream cheese as desired.
- Open can of rolls and form each crescent into a thin square. Place ¼ cup of the chicken mixture on the roll dough. Fold corners under to seal. Repeat with remaining roll dough.
- Brush each pillow with melted butter and top with seasoned crumbs.
- Place pillows on greased baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- While pillows are cooking, melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Then add flour.
- Whisk together and stir constantly until brown and no longer lumpy (2-3 minutes).
- Slowly whisk in 1 cup of milk.
- Stir gravy until thick and then dissolve in chicken bouillon cube. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot pillows with gravy.
If gravy is too thick, whisk in more milk a little at a time until it's your desired consistency.
For larger pillows, form two crescent rolls into a rectangle by pressing the seams together.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 229Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 218mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 6g