A mom of three and fellow home cook. I love pasta, grilled chicken and anything sweet. I’m here to give you easy weeknight dinners for your family. Let’s get cooking!
Cilantro Chickpea Salad is loaded with chickpeas, avocado, tomato, cucumber, and feta, all tossed with a delicious cilantro-lime vinaigrette. It’s a light and fresh salad that’s perfect for your summer potluck or barbeque!
My husband’s grandma is one of the best cooks I know.
She has a knack for finding the tastiest recipes out there and then making them even better.
We had a family dinner recently where she made this salad and I could not get enough! It was absolutely delicious.
Like most of her amazing dishes, she had altered the original recipe to make it her own, so I had to guess a little at some of the ingredients, but I think I came pretty close.
This chickpea salad works because it’s:
- Got complimentary flavors. Cilantro and lime are a natural pair and go perfectly with the feta, tomato, and avocado.
- Texture rich! You’ll get creamy, crunchy, and juicy all in the same bite.
- So easy to make. All you’ll need to do is chop a few vegetables and blend the dressing.
- A great overnight salad. The flavors will blend together even better if you refrigerate it overnight.
- A healthy option to traditional potluck salads. You’ll get lots of protein and nutrients in one serving.
- Versatile. You can eat it as a side or as a lunch or main dish!
WASH and chop 1 English cucumber and 1 dry pint of cherry tomatoes. The tomatoes should be cut in half and the cucumber should be cut in slices and then quartered.
SLICE 1 avocado and remove the pit. Cut each avocado half into small pieces.
ADD the cucumber, tomatoes, avocado, and 2 (15 ounce) cans of rinsed chickpeas into a medium mixing bowl.
BLEND 1 cup of packed cilantro leaves, 1 peeled garlic clove, 1/3 cup olive oil, 4 tablespoons lime juice, and salt and pepper until combined.
POUR the cilantro lime dressing over the salad and add 6 ounces of feta cheese.
STIR gently to combine. You can serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for 2-8 hours to allow the flavors to blend.
Recipe Tips and Substitutions
This salad can be customized based on what you have on hand. If you’re missing a vegetable like the avocado or cucumber, you can definitely leave it out.
The original recipe also calls for 1/2 chopped red onion which I left out, but would add additional flavor!
This cilantro chickpea salad is versatile and can be served as a main dish with the addition of some grilled chicken. You can also use the leftovers for a healthy lunch by putting the salad in a pita pocket or tortilla wrap.
Leftovers will keep for 3-4 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
More Like This
Looking for more delicious salad recipes? You’ll love these!
It depends on your recipe and personal preference.
If you’re making something creamy like a hummus, you’ll want to peel the chickpeas for a smoother texture. For this chickpea salad recipe, you’re fine to leave the peel on if you don’t have time to peel the chickpeas.
If you do decide to peel the chickpeas, you can do them individually or rub them between your hands or two towels to help them come over quicker.
All canned chickpeas are cooked and ready to eat. All you’ll need to do is rinse and peel them, if you want.
The chickpea juice or aquafaba that’s found in the can is also a great substitute for chicken broth or egg substitute.
I hope your family loves this cilantro chickpea salad recipe! If you make it, be sure to take a picture and tag me on Instagram with @ashcroftfamilytable and use the hashtag #ashcroftfamilytable!
And if you’d like to get a 4-week meal plan featuring my recipes, just enter your email in the form above and you’ll get it straight to your inbox!
- 1 English cucumber
- 1 dry pint of cherry tomatoes
- 1 avocado
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed
- 6 ounces feta cheese
Cilantro Lime Dressing
- 1 cup packed cilantro leaves (about 1/3 of a bunch)
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Wash and chop the cucumber and cherry tomatoes. The tomatoes should be cut in half and the cucumber should be cut in slices and then quartered.
- Slice the avocado and remove the pit. Cut each avocado half into small pieces.
- Add the cucumber, tomatoes, avocado, and rinsed chickpeas into a medium mixing bowl.
- Blend cilantro leaves, garlic clove, olive oil, lime juice, and salt and pepper until combined.
- Pour the cilantro lime dressing over the salad and add the feta cheese to the bowl.
- Stir gently to combine. You can serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for 2 - 8 hours to allow the flavors to blend.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 222Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 239mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 6g