These simple Spider Donuts feature mini chocolate-covered donuts, pretzel legs, and candy eyes. They’re a little frightful and a lot of fun!
These frightfully fun spider donuts are one of our new favorite Halloween desserts!
They’re an impressive-looking treat that’s so easy to make.
You can enjoy them as a snack or use them for a fun Halloween party.
This recipe works because it’s:
- Quick and easy with just a handful of ingredients.
- A fun snack or a creative dessert for a Halloween party.
- A great treat to let the kids help with!
Use a knife or your hands to break 18 mini pretzel twists into 36 curved “spider legs”. (You should get 2 curved pieces from each pretzel).
Push 3 pretzel legs into each side of 6 mini chocolate-covered donuts.
Next, squeeze two dots of black writing gel onto the front of each donut spider to act as glue for the candy eyes.
Then, press one candy eye into each dot of icing.
Let the icing dry, and serve.
Recipe Tips and Substitutions
The hardest part of this recipe is creating the spider legs. After trying to use a knife I found it was much easier just to use my hands to break the pretzels. The best part to use for the legs is the top two loops, so try to break the pretzel down the middle.
Yes, spiders have 8 legs, but 3 legs on each side took up a lot of space on the donut, and it was a little crowded. Feel free to use 4 legs on each side, you’ll just need to put them closer together.
If you don’t want to worry about breaking the mini pretzel twists, you can try the larger pretzel thins. They will be easier to cut with a knife and will give you larger spider legs.
If you don’t want to use black writing gel, you can use some melted chocolate chips in a piping bag.
More Like This
Looking for more festive no bake Halloween treats? You’ll love these!
It might be hard to find candy eyes during the month of October. So, if your local stores run out, you can try:
-Mini chocolate chips
-White chocolate chips turned upside down with a dot of black writing gel in the middle
I hope your family loves these frightfully fun spider donuts. If you make them, be sure to take a picture and tag me on Instagram with @ashcroftfamilytable and use the hashtag #ashcroftfamilytable!
And if you’d like to get a 4-week meal plan featuring my recipes, just enter your email in the form above and you’ll get it straight to your inbox!
Frightfully Fun Spider Donuts
- 18 mini pretzel twists
- 6 mini chocolate covered donuts
- 1 tube black writing gel
- 12 candy eyes
- Use a knife or your hands to break the mini pretzel twists into curved "spider legs". (You should get 2 curved pieces from each pretzel).
- Push 3 pretzel legs into each side of the mini chocolate-covered donuts.
- Next, squeeze a little dot of black icing gel onto the front of each donut spider to act as glue for the candy eyes.
- Then, press one candy eye into each dot of icing.
- Let the icing dry, and serve.