This Cheesy Tomato Chicken Linguine recipe combines Italian tomatoes, shredded cheese, buttery chicken, and warm linguine noodles for a tasty pasta dish that comes together in under 30 minutes.
Pasta was a go-to dinner for our family growing up and this cheesy chicken and linguine recipe was one my mom made often.
You usually have to let pasta sauces simmer for 20+ minutes, but this pasta recipe is so quick and easy, the entire meal will be done in less than 30 minutes!
Pair it with a vegetable and some garlic bread and you have a restaurant-quality meal for a fraction of the price, but with the same delicious homemade taste.
COOK 16 ounces of linguine according to package directions.
WHILE the pasta is cooking, dice 3-4 chicken breasts into bite-size pieces.
HEAT 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet until melted.
ADD chicken pieces to the butter and brown until thoroughly cooked. Remove and keep warm.
STIR 1 (10.5 ounce) can cream of chicken soup and a little tomato juice from 1 (14 ounce) Italian diced tomatoes into the pan. STIR to incorporate bits on the bottom of the pan.
ADD 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese and stir until melted. Gradually mix in the rest of the tomatoes and juice, stirring until cheese is melted and sauce is creamy.
ADD chicken and heat through. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve over warm linguine.
Recipe Tips and Substitutions
If you would like to stretch the sauce, you can add another can of Italian tomatoes. The sauce will be more red than pink.
If you don’t have Italian tomatoes on hand, you can use regular canned tomatoes and just add in a few shakes each of garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, and basil, or any Italian seasoning combo.
Try one of these cream of chicken substitutes if you’re all out.
If you don’t have linguine on hand, you can always use any pasta for this dish. Pasta tastes the same no matter what shape it’s in!
If you don’t like chunks of tomatoes, you can use petite diced or even try crushed for a smoother sauce.
To keep your linguine from sticking together after you drain it, add a swirl of olive oil to the pasta and stir to combine.
More Like This
Want more pasta dishes? You’ll love these!
- Creamy Gnocchi with Tomatoes
- Cheesy Chicken Macaroni Casserole
- Easy Spaghetti with Chili Sauce (aka Cincinnati Chili)
- Simple and Delicious Creamy Pasta Bake
- The Perfect Lemon Basil Pasta
- Lasagna made with Cottage Cheese
I hope your family loves this chicken and linguine recipe! If you make it, be sure to take a picture and tag me on Instagram with @ashcroftfamilytable and use the hashtag #ashcroftfamilytable!
And if you’d like to get a 4-week meal plan featuring my recipes, just enter your email in the form above and you’ll get it straight to your inbox!
Cheesy Tomato Chicken Linguine Recipe
- 1 package linguine, 16 ounce
- 3-4 boneless chicken breasts, thawed and trimmed of fat
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 can cream of chicken soup, 10.5 ounce
- 1 can Italian diced tomatoes, 14 ounce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Cook linguine according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, dice chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Heat butter in a large skillet until melted. Add chicken pieces to the butter and brown until thoroughly cooked. Remove and keep warm.
- Add cream of chicken soup and a little tomato juice from the Italian diced tomatoes to the skillet. Stir to incorporate bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add shredded cheddar cheese and stir until melted. Gradually mix in the rest of the tomatoes and juice, stirring until cheese is melted and sauce is creamy.
- Add chicken into the sauce and heat through. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve over warm linguine.