This classic Italian Lasagna made with Cottage Cheese is as delicious as it is easy to make! Featuring three different kinds of cheese and a savory red meat sauce, this lasagna recipe is scrumptious.
Every cook needs a good lasagna recipe.
And this one is as authentic as it comes!
My half-Italian mother has been making this lasagna for as long as I can remember. She got the recipe from her mom who got it from my Italian great-grandma.
One of the best parts is that it uses so few ingredients. No long grocery list is needed to prepare this lasagna made with cottage cheese!
BROWN 1 pound ground beef and 2 cloves of minced garlic in a small amount of oil. Next, add 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste, 2 (14 ounce) cans of tomatoes, 1 teaspoon salt, ¾ teaspoon pepper and ½ teaspoon oregano.
COVER and simmer for 20 minutes.
While the sauce is simmering, COOK 9 lasagna noodles as directed on package and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
ASSEMBLE the lasagna by alternating layers of meat sauce, noodles, and cheeses (1½ cups mozzarella cheese and 1 (12 ounce) carton cottage cheese, divided) in a baking dish, beginning and ending with meat sauce.
BAKE 20 to 30 minutes until bubbling and finish with grated parmesan cheese on top.
Recipe Tips and Substitutions
If you’d like to save some calories and fat, you can substitute ground turkey for ground beef (that’s how I always make it!).
If you don’t like grated parmesan cheese, you can top the lasagna with more grated mozzarella.
The recipe says to simmer the sauce for 20 minutes. If I’m short on time, I’ll cook it long enough for the ingredients to combine and then call it good!
More Like This
Want more pasta dishes? You’ll love these!
- Italian Spaghetti and Meatballs
- Easy Spaghetti with Chili Sauce (aka Cincinnati Chili)
- Simple and Delicious Creamy Pasta Bake
- The Perfect Lemon Basil Pasta
- Cheesy Chicken and Linguine Recipe
That depends on what you mean by better. Both Ricotta and cottage cheese have a similar flavor profile, but they differ in texture and fat content.
For a lighter lasagna, cottage cheese is the clear winner. Ricotta is creamier than cottage cheese, but also has a lot more calories.
If you want to use cottage cheese, but prefer the consistency of ricotta, try straining or blending it to transform the texture.
Cottage cheese can make your lasagna watery, so here are a few extra steps you can take to prevent that.
Try draining the cheese in your sink for several minutes before making this dish or squeeze out any moisture in a towel.
You can also opt for full fat cottage cheese. Low-fat cheese tends to lose more whey as it cooks which can make the dish more watery.
I always start and end my lasagna with the meat sauce.
Add cheese on top of the noodles so they bind together and always end with sauce on top so every layer has each component.
Plus, the dish would look a bit funny with nothing on top!
The sauce can be a little runny if you serve this lasagna right out of the oven. Cool before slicing for best results.
You can also drain off a little of the tomato juice before you add them to the sauce if you like a thicker sauce. If you’d like even more sauce, add another can of tomatoes for 42 oz. total.
Be sure to choose lean meat which produces less grease and drain well before adding it to your pasta.
I hope your family loves this delicious lasagna made with cottage cheese! If you make it, be sure to take a picture and tag me on Instagram with @ashcroftfamilytable and use the hashtag #ashcroftfamilytable!
And if you’d like to get a 4-week meal plan featuring my recipes, just enter your email in the form above and you’ll get it straight to your inbox!
Best Ever Lasagna Made With Cottage Cheese
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Olive oil
- 1 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 2 14 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 12 ounce carton cottage cheese
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Add ground beef, garlic, and a small amount of oil to a large skillet or pan. Brown ground beef and garlic over medium-high heat.
- Once the ground beef is cooked, add tomato paste, tomatoes, salt, pepper, and oregano to the pan and stir to combine.
- Cover the pan and simmer for 20 minutes.
- While the meat mixture is simmering, cook noodles as directed on package. Drain and set aside.
- Once the noodles and meat mixture is done, heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Alternate layers of meat sauce, cooked noodles, mozzarella, and cottage cheese in a 9x13 baking dish, beginning and ending with meat sauce.
- Bake 20 to 30 minutes until bubbly and finish with grated parmesan cheese.