Mediterranean Street Fries feature crispy sweet potato fries topped with a chickpea salad, tangy yogurt dressing, and sprinkled with tangy feta cheese. These fries are so delicious you’ll want to make them every night of the week!
I’ve always loved the freshness of Mediterranean cuisine, but I fell in love with street fries when my husband brought them home from a local restaurant.
They were so delicious and unique, I wanted to eat them all!
This recipe is my own take on the dish.
So whether you’re hosting a casual gathering, or simply craving a satisfying snack, these Mediterranean Street Fries are the perfect way to elevate your food and be transported to the sunny streets of the Mediterranean.
This recipe works because it’s:
- Easy to make. There’s only one cooking step. And the rest is just mixing and assembling!
- Versatile. You can enjoy the recipe as is. Or you can add additional Mediterranean ingredients or even meat to make it a meal instead of a side or snack.
- Bursting with flavor. From the lemony dressing to the tangy feta and roasted veggies, there’s a symphony of flavors in every bite!
Cook 19 ounces of sweet potato fries according to package directions. (We love using the air fryer because they get extra crispy!)
While the fries are cooking, add 10 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved, 1 cucumber, peeled and chopped, 15 ounces of canned chickpeas, and ¼ cup Italian salad dressing to a small bowl and stir to combine.
Place the tomato salad in the refrigerator until the fries are ready to serve.
Mix the 1 cup plain of Greek yogurt, 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice, 1 teaspoon of oregano salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Then taste and adjust the flavors as needed.
To serve, layer the warm fries with the chickpea salad (use a slotted spoon to remove most of the liquid), 1 cup of canned roasted corn, and banana pepper rings.
Top with feta cheese, garlic aioli mayo, and the yogurt dressing.
Recipe Tips and Substitutions
Make sure you enjoy the fries right after building them or they may go soggy. A slotted spoon will remove most of the liquid from the tomatoes but it won’t remove all of it.
While the suggested seasonings in the recipe add a delightful Mediterranean flair, feel free to customize them to suit your taste preferences.
Consider adding spices like paprika, cumin, or garlic powder to enhance the flavor profile even further.
If you prefer a dairy-free option or want to try something different, you can substitute the feta cheese with crumbled vegan cheese, such as vegan feta or a plant-based cheese alternative like almond-based feta.
Add extra color, texture, and nutrients to your street fries by including additional Mediterranean vegetables. Roasted red bell peppers, caramelized onions, kalamata olives, or marinated artichoke hearts can all make fantastic additions.
For those seeking a heartier option, consider adding some protein to your dish. Grilled chicken or shrimp, falafel, or even grilled tofu can be excellent choices to top off your Mediterranean street fries.
More Like This
Looking for more tasty sides and snacks? You’ll love these!
- Whipped Feta Dip with Roasted Tomatoes and Honey
- The Best Artichoke Parmesan Dip
- Cowboy Caviar with Avocado
- Toasted Almond and Swiss Cheese Dip
- The Best Fresh Garden Salsa Recipe
Absolutely! Grilled chicken, lamb, or even gyro meat can be delicious additions for those who prefer a meaty option. Simply cook the meat separately and add it to the assembled fries before serving.
Absolutely! Cooking the fries in an air fryer is a great alternative to traditional frying. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for cooking times and temperatures, and be sure to shake or flip the fries halfway through for even browning.
While the fries are best enjoyed fresh and crispy, you can prepare the toppings, such as the sauce and vegetable toppings, ahead of time. When ready to serve, reheat the fries and assemble the toppings for a delicious Mediterranean experience.
Love this Mediterranean street fries recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card below. If you really like the recipe consider leaving a comment at the end of the post. Thanks for visiting!
And if you’d like to get a 4-week meal plan featuring my recipes, just enter your email in the form above and you’ll get it straight to your inbox!
Mediterranean Street Fries
- 19 ounces sweet potato fries
- 10 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 15 ounces canned chickpeas
- ¼ cup Italian salad dressing
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup canned fire-roasted corn
- banana pepper rings
- feta cheese
- garlic aioli mayo
- Cook sweet potato fries according to package directions. (We love using the air fryer because they get extra crispy!)
- While the fries are cooking, add the tomatoes, cucumber, chickpeas, and salad dressing to a small bowl and stir to combine. Place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Mix the yogurt, lemon juice, oregano, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Taste and adjust flavors as needed.
- To serve, layer the warm fries with the chickpea salad (use a slotted spoon to remove most of the liquid), roasted corn, and banana pepper rings. Top with feta cheese, garlic aioli mayo, and the yogurt dressing. Serve immediately.