This Mushroom Swiss Chicken bake features a combination of tender chicken, mushrooms, creamy sauce, and gooey swiss cheese all served over hot, white rice.
This mushroom Swiss chicken bake is one of my mom’s Sunday dinner/party recipes.
She only made it when they were having friends over or for Sunday dinners.
If we got the chance to eat it, I considered it a treat!
The savory sauce and gooey Swiss cheese make this one of my most favorite dinner recipes.
Now that I’m the cook, I make it whenever I want to!
It’s fancy enough for a dinner party, but affordable enough for a weeknight meal.
PREHEAT oven to 350 degrees.
CUBE 5-6 chicken breasts (boneless and skinless) and place in an ungreased 9 x 13 baking dish and sprinkle with 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese.
DRAIN 1 (4.5 oz) jar whole mushrooms and place on top of chicken.
In a small bowl, COMBINE 1 (10.5 oz) can cream of mushroom soup, ¼ cup sour cream (or one of these sour cream substitutes), and ¼ cup chicken broth (or one of these chicken broth substitutes); blend well.
POUR the sauce over the chicken.
BAKE the chicken at 350 degrees for 50 minutes. Once cooked, remove the dish from the oven and SPRINKLE the chicken with ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
BAKE an additional 10 minutes. STIR sauce, if necessary, to blend.
SERVE chicken and sauce over cooked rice.
Recipe Tips and Substitutions
I always cube the chicken for this dinner recipe because I deathly afraid of undercooked chicken.
If you’re going to make this dinner with full chicken breasts, you may consider butterflying (cutting in half horizontally) them to ensure they cook all the way through.
If you’re not a fan of mushrooms (like me!) you can omit the jar of whole mushrooms. You’ll still get the flavor from the mushroom soup.
I have a specific routine for this dinner to save dishes and to keep from cross-contaminating and it goes like this:
- Grate the Swiss cheese into a 2-cup measuring cup over a cutting board
- Cube the chicken on the cutting board and immediately place the cutting board and knife into the dishwasher
- Sprinkle cheese on chicken and mix the sauce ingredients in 2-cup measuring cup, starting with the broth to measure out 1/4 cup
If you want a runnier sauce, you can add more broth.
More Like This
Want more chicken recipes? You’ll love these!
- Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole
- White Chicken Chili Recipe with Cream Cheese
- Chicken and Asparagus Pasta Bake
- The Easiest Grilled Balsamic Bruschetta Chicken
- Chicken and Broccoli Casserole with Mayo
- The Easiest Chicken Pillows Ever
I hope your family loves this delicious mushroom swiss chicken bake! If you make it, be sure to take a picture and tag me on Instagram with @ashcroftfamilytable and use the hashtag #ashcroftfamilytable!
And if you’d like to get a 4-week meal plan featuring my recipes, just enter your email in the form above and you’ll get it straight to your inbox!
Creamy Mushroom Swiss Chicken Bake
- 2-3 chicken breasts, thawed and trimmed of fat
- 4.5 ounces jarred whole mushrooms , drained
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 10.5 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cooked white rice
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cube chicken breasts and place in an ungreased 9×13 baking dish.
- Sprinkle the chicken with the mushrooms with Swiss cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine soup, sour cream, and broth. Blend well and then spread over chicken.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.
- Remove the dish from the oven and sprinkle the chicken with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake an additional 10 minutes. Stir sauce, if necessary, to blend.
- Serve chicken and sauce over cooked rice.