Creamy Mushroom Swiss Chicken Bake
This Mushroom Swiss Chicken bake features a combination of tender chicken, mushrooms, creamy sauce, and gooey swiss cheese all served over hot, white rice.
This mushroom swiss chicken bake is one of my mom’s Sunday dinner/party recipes.
She only made it when they were having friends over or for Sunday dinners.
If we got the chance to eat it, I considered it a treat!
The savory sauce and gooey swiss cheese make this one of my most favorite dinner recipes.
Now that I’m the cook, I make it whenever I want to!
It’s fancy enough for a dinner party, but affordable enough for a weeknight meal.
5-6 chicken breasts (boneless and skinless)
1 (4.5 oz) jar whole mushrooms drained
2 cups shredded swiss cheese
1 (10.5 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
¼ cup sour cream
¼ cup chicken broth
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
How to Make Mushroom Swiss Chicken
HEAT: Heat oven to 350 degrees.
PLACE: Place chicken breasts in ungreased 12 x 8 baking dish and add mushrooms on top.
SPRINKLE: Sprinkle the chicken and mushrooms with swiss cheese.
MIX: In a small bowl, combine soup, sour cream, and broth; blend well. Pour over chicken.
BAKE: Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.
SPRINKLE: Remove the dish from the oven and sprinkle the chicken with parmesan cheese.
BAKE: Bake an additional 10 minutes. Stir sauce, if necessary, to blend.
SERVE: Serve chicken and sauce over cooked rice.
Recipe Tips and Substitutions
I always cube the chicken for this dinner recipe because I deathly afraid of undercooked chicken. If you’re going to make this dinner with full chicken breasts, you may consider butterflying (cutting in half horizontally) them to ensure they cook all the way through.
If you’re not a fan of mushrooms (like me!) you can omit the jar of whole mushrooms. You’ll still get the flavor from the mushroom soup.
I have a specific routine for this dinner to save dishes and to keep from cross-contaminating and it goes like this:
- Grate the Swiss cheese into a 2-cup measuring cup over a cutting board
- Cube the chicken on the cutting board and immediately place the cutting board and knife into the dishwasher
- Sprinkle cheese on chicken and mix the sauce ingredients in 2-cup measuring cup, starting with the broth to measure out 1/4 cup
If you want a runnier sauce, you can add more broth.
More Like This
Want more chicken recipes? You’ll love these!
- White Chicken Chili Recipe with Cream Cheese
- Chicken and Asparagus Pasta Bake
- The Easiest Grilled Balsamic Bruschetta Chicken
- Chicken and Broccoli Casserole with Mayo
- The Easiest Chicken Pillows Ever
I hope your family loves this delicious mushroom swiss chicken bake! If you make it, be sure to take a picture and tag me on Instagram with @ashcroftfamilytable and use the hashtag #ashcroftfamilytable!
And if you’d like to get a 4-week meal plan featuring my recipes, just enter your email in the form above and you’ll get it straight to your inbox!
- 5-6 chicken breasts (boneless and skinless)
- 1 (4.5 oz) jar whole mushrooms drained
- 2 cups shredded swiss cheese
- 1 (10.5 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place chicken breasts in ungreased 12 x 8 baking dish and add mushrooms on top.
- Sprinkle the chicken and mushrooms with swiss cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine soup, sour cream, and broth; blend well. Pour over chicken.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.
- Remove the dish from the oven and sprinkle the chicken with parmesan cheese.
- Bake an additional 10 minutes. Stir sauce, if necessary, to blend.
- Serve chicken and sauce over cooked rice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Professional Box Grater, Stainless Steel with 4 Sides, Best for Parmesan Cheese, Vegetables, Ginger, XL Size, Black
AmazonBasics 14-Piece Kitchen Knife Set with High-Carbon Stainless-Steel Blades and Pine Wood Block
Organic Bamboo Cutting Boards for Kitchen Set of 3 - Eco-Friendly 100% Natural Bamboo Wooden Chopping Board with Juice Groove for Food Prep, Meat, Vegetables, Fruits, Crackers & Cheese - by Clasier
Pyrex Glass Measuring Cup Set (3-Piece, Microwave and Oven Safe),Clear
Pyrex Basics 3 Quart Glass Oblong Baking Dish, Clear 8.9 Inch X 13.2 Inch - 3 Qt
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 413Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 145mgSodium: 582mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 49g