These yummy Cherry Chocolate Chip Muffins are made with maraschino cherries and topped with a pretty pink glaze. They’re perfect for Valentine’s Day!
I was looking for a fun treat to make for my kids for Valentine’s Day and I found a recipe for Cherry Chocolate Chip Muffins in my husband’s family cook book.
I was hesitant to make them because I’m normally not a big fan of maraschino cherries, but I found a higher-end brand at the store and I could barely taste them in the muffins.
The muffins turned out delicious and my kids (and husband) gobbled them right up.
The pink glaze makes them especially perfect for the holiday as a yummy breakfast or afternoon snack.
PREHEAT your oven to 375 degrees.
WHISK 1 egg, 1/2 cup of milk, and 1/4 cup of vegetable oil together in a medium mixing bowl.
STIR 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt into the wet ingredients just until moist.
DRAIN 1 (10 ounce) jar of maraschino cherries, saving 3 tablespoons of the juice.
CHOP the cherries into quarters and fold into the batter along with 3/4 cup of miniature chocolate chips.
LIGHTLY grease a muffin tin and use a 1/4 measuring cup to add batter to each cup.
BAKE for 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
ALLOW the muffins to cool for 10 minutes and then move from the pan to a wire rack.
COMBINE 1 cup of powdered sugar and 2-3 tablespoons of the reserved cherry juice to make the glaze. Start with 1 tablespoon of juice at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
DRIZZLE the glaze over the cooled muffins using a spoon or fork.
Recipe Tips and Substitutions
If you’re not a huge fan of maraschino cherries like I am, try the Mezzetta brand. Or I’ve also heard good things about Amaretto cocktail cherries.
You could also try frozen whole cherries that have been thawed or fresh cherries as substitutions for the maraschino cherries.
If you do choose fresh or frozen cherries, you will have to use milk to make the glaze and tint it with some food coloring to get the pink tint.
You could definitely use regular size chocolate chips for these muffins, but the mini size gives more chips in each bite!
If you like nuts, fold in 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts with the cherries and chocolate chips.
More Like This
Looking for more breakfast recipes? You’ll love these!
I hope your family loves these cherry chocolate chip muffins! If you make it, be sure to take a picture and tag me on Instagram with @ashcroftfamilytable and use the hashtag #ashcroftfamilytable!
And if you’d like to get a 4-week meal plan featuring my recipes, just enter your email in the form above and you’ll get it straight to your inbox!
Cherry Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1½ cups flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 10 ounces maraschino cherries
- ¾ cup miniature chocolate chips
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons reserved cherry juice
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Whisk egg, milk, and vegetable oil together in a medium mixing bowl.
- Stir flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt into the wet ingredients just until moist.
- Drain the jar of maraschino cherries, saving 3 tablespoons of the juice.
- Chop the cherries into quarters and fold them into the batter along with chocolate chips.
- Lightly grease a muffin tin and use a 1/4 measuring cup to add batter to each cup.
- Bake the muffins for 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool for 10 minutes and then move from the pan to a wire rack.
- Combine powdered sugar and reserved cherry juice to make the glaze. Start with 1 tablespoon of juice at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cooled muffins using a spoon or fork.