Cheesy Zucchini, Black Bean, and Rice Skillet
This Zucchini Black Bean and Rice Skillet comes together in just 30 minutes and is a filling, vegetarian dinner. Your family will love the tender zucchini, black beans, fluffy rice, and all the cheese!
I first found this zucchini black bean and rice skillet recipe when my husband and I were newly married and I’ve been making it every year since then!
My husband says this is his least favorite dinner that I make because he’s not a fan of zucchini and wishes the recipe had meat in it.
I, on the other hand, love this skillet recipe because it’s quick and easy, affordable, and gives us a meatless dinner during the week.
My kids love it, and he still eats it, so I guess it’s not as bad as he thinks…
(It’s absolutely delicious. Trust me!)
1 cup instant white rice, cooked according to package directions
1 tablespoon oil
2 small zucchinis sliced
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained
1 can (14.5 oz.) fire-roasted diced tomatoes with garlic
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 cup shredded cheddar and monterey jack cheese blend
How to Make Zucchini Black Bean and Rice Skillet
COOK: Cook rice according to package directions either on the stove, in a rice cooker, or Instant Pot.
HEAT: While rice is cooking heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
COOK: Add zucchini, onion, and bell pepper and cook until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
ADD: Add beans, undrained tomatoes, water, and oregano and stir well.
COMBINE: Once the rice is done, add it to the skillet and stir to combine.
COVER: Sprinkle the rice mixture with cheese, cover, and turn the heat to low. Let stand for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Recipe Tips and Substitutions
If you have some, top this skillet with some creamy lime vinagrette. It’s gives it just the right amount of extra flavor!
I’m not a big fan of onions or peppers, so I don’t add those and add a teaspoon or so of onion powder instead.
If you don’t have fire-roasted tomatoes with garlic, you can use regular diced tomatoes and just add a teaspoon or so of garlic powder or minced garlic with the vegetables.
Likewise, instead of fire-roasted tomatoes with garlic, you can use Italian diced tomatoes and omit the oregano.
The original recipe directs you to cook the rice in the skillet after you add the beans and tomatoes. I’ve tried it this way, and the rice always comes out stuck to the bottom or underdone. If you cook the rice separately, you’ll have perfectly fluffy rice every time.
More Like This
Want more zucchini recipes? Try these!
- Italian Ground Turkey Patties With Vegetables Provencal
- Chocolate Chip Filled Pumpkin Zucchini Bread
- 10 Minute Scrambled Eggs With Zucchini
- Grilled Sausage Kabobs with a Honey Mustard Glaze
- Posh Squash (The Yummiest Zucchini and Yellow Squash Casserole)
I hope your family loves this delicious zucchini black bean and rice skillet! If you make it, be sure to take a picture and tag me on Instagram with @ashcroftfamilytable and use the hashtag #ashcroftfamilytable!
And if you’d like to get a 4-week meal plan featuring my recipes, just enter your email in the form above and you’ll get it straight to your inbox!
- 1 cup instant white rice, cooked according to package directions
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 small zucchinis sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) fire-roasted diced tomatoes with garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar and monterey jack cheese blend
- Cook rice according to package directions either on the stove, in a rice cooker, or Instant Pot.
- While rice is cooking heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add zucchini, onion, and bell pepper and cook until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans, undrained tomatoes, water, and oregano and stir well.
- Once the rice is done, add it to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle the rice mixture with cheese, cover, and turn the heat to low. Let stand for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Presto 06852 16-Inch Electric Skillet with Glass Cover
Oster 6-Cup Rice Cooker with Steam Tray, Black (CKSTRCMS65)
AmazonBasics 14-Piece Kitchen Knife Set with High-Carbon Stainless-Steel Blades and Pine Wood Block
Organic Bamboo Cutting Boards for Kitchen Set of 3 - Eco-Friendly 100% Natural Bamboo Wooden Chopping Board with Juice Groove for Food Prep, Meat, Vegetables, Fruits, Crackers & Cheese - by Clasier
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 177Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 274mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 7g