A mom of three and fellow home cook. I love pasta, grilled chicken and anything sweet. I’m here to give you easy weeknight dinners for your family. Let’s get cooking!
This Zucchini Black Bean and Rice Skillet comes together in just 30 minutes and is a filling, vegetarian dinner. Your family will love the tender zucchini, black beans, fluffy rice, and all the cheese!
I first found this zucchini black bean and rice skillet recipe when my husband and I were newly married and I’ve been making it every year since then!
My husband says this is his least favorite dinner that I make because he’s not a fan of zucchini and wishes the recipe had meat in it.
I, on the other hand, love this skillet recipe because it’s quick and easy, affordable, and gives us a meatless dinner during the week.
My kids love it, and he still eats it, so I guess it’s not as bad as he thinks…
(It’s absolutely delicious. Trust me!)
COOK 1 cup white rice according to package directions either on the stove, in a rice cooker, or Instant Pot.
While rice is cooking HEAT 1 tablespoon oil (or one of these vegetable oil substitutes) in a large skillet over medium heat. ADD 2 small zucchinis, sliced; 1/2 cup chopped onion and 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper and COOK until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
ADD 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained; 1 (14.5 oz.) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes with garlic, undrained; water and 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano and STIR well.
Once the rice is done, ADD it to the skillet and STIR to combine. SPRINKLE the rice mixture with 1/2 cup shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese blend, COVER, and turn the heat to low. Let stand for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Recipe Tips and Substitutions
If you have some, top this skillet with some creamy lime vinagrette. It’s gives it just the right amount of extra flavor!
I’m not a big fan of onions or peppers, so I don’t add those and add a teaspoon or so of onion powder instead.
If you don’t have fire-roasted tomatoes with garlic, you can use regular diced tomatoes and just add a teaspoon or so of garlic powder or minced garlic with the vegetables.
Likewise, instead of fire-roasted tomatoes with garlic, you can use Italian diced tomatoes and omit the oregano.
The original recipe directs you to cook the rice in the skillet after you add the beans and tomatoes. I’ve tried it this way, and the rice always comes out stuck to the bottom or underdone. If you cook the rice separately, you’ll have perfectly fluffy rice every time.
More Like This
Want more zucchini recipes? Try these!
- Italian Ground Turkey Patties With Vegetables Provencal
- Chocolate Chip Filled Pumpkin Zucchini Bread
- 10 Minute Scrambled Eggs With Zucchini
- Grilled Sausage Kabobs with a Honey Mustard Glaze
- Posh Squash (The Yummiest Zucchini and Yellow Squash Casserole)
I hope your family loves this delicious zucchini black bean and rice skillet! If you make it, be sure to take a picture and tag me on Instagram with @ashcroftfamilytable and use the hashtag #ashcroftfamilytable!
And if you’d like to get a 4-week meal plan featuring my recipes, just enter your email in the form above and you’ll get it straight to your inbox!
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 small zucchinis, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes with garlic, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese blend
- Cook rice according to package directions either on the stove, in a rice cooker, or Instant Pot.
- While rice is cooking heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add zucchini, onion, and bell pepper and cook until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans, undrained tomatoes, water, and oregano and stir well.
- Once the rice is done, add it to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle the rice mixture with cheese, cover, and turn the heat to low. Let stand for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 213Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 191mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 10g