This recipe for Spaghetti with Olive Oil and Garlic features tender spaghetti tossed with a flavorful sauce. It’s a simple dish you can serve as a meal or as a side for your favorite meat!
The first time I made this pasta dish, my husband and I burnt the garlic.
We were still dating and in college, so our cooking skills were far from polished.
I’ve come a long way since then, and am happy to report that the garlic was cooked perfectly when I last made this recipe!
This spaghetti with olive oil and garlic is such a simple recipe and delivers a fresh and flavorful bite that won’t leave you feeling heavy or weighed down.
COOK 16 ounces of spaghetti or angel hair according to package directions.
WHILE the spaghetti is cooking, lightly brown 10 cloves of minced garlic in 1/4 cup olive oil over low heat.
AS soon as the garlic starts to brown, remove it from the heat and stir in 2 tablespoons dried parsley, 2 teaspoons dried oregano, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.
DRAIN the spaghetti once done and return it to the pot. Toss the garlic mixture with the spaghetti to coat.
SPRINKLE 1/2 cup grated Parmesan on the spaghetti a little at a time, tossing the pasta while you go so the cheese doesn’t stick to one spot.
Recipe Tips and Substitutions
This recipe tastes best with fresh ingredients, but if you don’t have any fresh garlic on hand, you can substitute 5 teaspoons of dried minced garlic for the garlic cloves.
Likewise, you could substitute fresh parsley and oregano for the dried version if you have the fresh herbs on hand. 1 tablespoon of fresh herbs replaces 1 teaspoon of dried herbs. And here are several oregano substitutes if you’re all out!
You can easily substitute shredded Parmesan for grated Parmesan if you like the flavor better.
The easiest way to toss the pasta with the garlic mixture and cheese is to use a set of tongs. Don’t try to toss the pasta with any sort of pasta fork or you’ll end up with mushy noodles.
More Like This
Looking for more delicious pasta dishes? You’ll love these!
- Authentic Italian Spaghetti and Meatballs
- Cheesy Chicken and Linguine
- Delicious Creamy Pasta Bake
- Lemon Basil Pasta
I hope your family loves this spaghetti with olive oil and garlic recipe! If you make it, be sure to take a picture and tag me on Instagram with @ashcroftfamilytable and use the hashtag #ashcroftfamilytable!
And if you’d like to get a 4-week meal plan featuring my recipes, just enter your email in the form above and you’ll get it straight to your inbox!
- 1 (16 ounce) package spaghetti or angel hair
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- Cook spaghetti or angel hair according to package directions.
- While the spaghetti is cooking, lightly brown minced garlic in olive oil over low heat.
- As soon as the garlic starts to brown, remove it from the heat and stir in dried parsley, dried oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Drain the spaghetti once done and return it to the pot. Toss the garlic mixture with the spaghetti to coat.
- Sprinkle grated Parmesan on the spaghetti a little at a time, tossing the pasta while you go so the cheese doesn't stick to one spot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 250Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 381mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 4g