This delicious pesto tortellini recipe is the perfect meal for pasta lovers! With tender tortellini and a savory pesto sauce, this dish is a crowd-pleaser that you won’t want to miss.
There’s nothing quite like a warm bowl of pasta to bring comfort and satisfaction to the dinner table, and this pesto tortellini recipe is no exception.
With its vibrant green color and fresh, bold flavors, it’s a dish that’s both visually appealing and delicious!
This recipe works because it’s:
- Easy to make. You only need 5 ingredients to create this deceivingly simple pasta dish.
- Packed with flavor. Even though it’s a short ingredient list, you’ll get a mouthful of flavor in every bite.
- Perfect any night of the week! Whether you’re cooking on a busy weeknight or for a casual dinner party, this recipe is great for all occasions.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once the water is boiling add 36 ounces of frozen tortellini and cook according to package directions.
While you wait for the water to boil, add 1/2 cup of chopped sun-dried tomatoes (with some of the oil) and 10 ounces of halved cherry tomatoes to a large skillet. Cook on medium heat until the fresh tomatoes start to blister.
Cook a 12-ounce package of frozen asparagus according to package directions and then chop each spear into bite-sized pieces. Add the asparagus to the skillet along with 1/3 cup of creamy basil pesto. Mix everything together and cook for 1-2 minutes.
Add the drained tortellini to the pan and stir until the pasta is covered in the pesto. Serve warm.
Recipe Tips and Substitutions
Since this recipe has just a few ingredients, it’s important to use the best quality ones you can find. Choose high-quality pesto and good-quality tortellini.
To ensure that your tortellini is cooked perfectly, be sure to follow the package instructions carefully. Don’t overcook the pasta or it will become mushy.
When draining the pasta, you can reserve about 1/4 cup of the starchy pasta water. This can be added to the skillet to make the sauce less thick and more cohesive.
This dish is best served immediately while the pasta and sauce are still warm. If you’re not ready to serve it right away, keep the vegetables and pasta separate until you’re ready to combine and serve.
More Like This
Looking for more delicious pasta recipes? You’ll love these!
- Creamy Italian Chicken and Pasta
- Creamy Gnocchi with Tomatoes
- Chicken and Asparagus Pasta Bake
- Cheesy Chicken Linguine
- Creamy Pasta Bake
Yes, you can freeze the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 2-3 months. To reheat, simply thaw in the refrigerator overnight and warm up on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Absolutely! While tortellini works great in this recipe, you can easily substitute it for any type of pasta you like. Penne, fusilli, or spaghetti would all be delicious with pesto.
You can customize this recipe by adding your favorite protein or vegetables. Cooked chicken, shrimp, or sausage would all be great options, as well as chopped artichoke hearts, zucchini, or broccoli.
Love this pesto tortellini recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card below. If you really like the recipe consider leaving a comment at the end of the post. Thanks for visiting!
And if you’d like to get a 4-week meal plan featuring my recipes, just enter your email in the form above and you’ll get it straight to your inbox!
Pesto Tortellini with Vegetables
- 36 ounces frozen tortellini
- ½ cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes, in oil
- 10 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
- 12 ounces frozen asparagus
- ⅓ cup creamy basil pesto
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once the water is boiling add frozen tortellini and cook according to package directions.
- While you wait for the water to boil, add sun-dried tomatoes (with some of the oil) and cherry tomatoes to a large skillet. Cook on medium heat until the fresh tomatoes start to blister.
- Cook frozen asparagus according to package directions and then chop each spear into bite-sized pieces. Add the asparagus to the skillet along with creamy basil pesto. Mix everything together and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the drained tortellini to the pan and stir until the pasta is covered in the pesto. Serve warm.