A mom of three and fellow home cook. I love pasta, grilled chicken and anything sweet. I’m here to give you easy weeknight dinners for your family. Let’s get cooking!
This Instant Pot Potato Salad features tender potatoes, crisp pickles, hard-boiled eggs, and a creamy dressing. It comes together in no time thanks to the Instant pot and its simple flavor is a family favorite!
Potato salad is a classic side dish for our family during the summer months.
We even make it for Easter if the weather is nice!
I grew up thinking potato salad had a savory, tangy flavor because that’s how my mom would make it.
So you can imagine my confusion when the other potato salads I’ve tried (either storebought or homemade) all have a sweet flavor.
I’ve just accepted the fact that if I want the “right” potato salad, I have to make it myself! And I also decided it was time to share this recipe with the world.
This recipe is so simple and it’s made even easier by cooking the potatoes and eggs in the Instant Pot.
PEEL and chop 4 medium russet potatoes into 1-inch cubes.
POUR in 1 1/2 cups of water to the inner pot of your Instant Pot and then insert the steamer basket.
ADD the chopped potatoes to the steamer basket and place 3 eggs on top of the potatoes.
PLACE the lid on the Instant Pot, lock it, and make sure the valve is set to seal.
SELECT pressure cook, make sure HIGH pressure is selected and set the timer for 4 minutes.
WHILE the potatoes and eggs are cooking, chop dill pickles into bite-sized pieces until you have 3/4 cup.
MIX 1 cup of mayonnaise (or one of these mayonnaise substitutes) and 2 teaspoons of pickle juice in a small bowl.
WHEN the potatoes and eggs are done, release the pressure by turning the valve to vent.
CAREFULLY remove the eggs and place them in a bowl of ice water.
REMOVE the potatoes and spread them on a large baking sheet in a single layer to cool.
ONCE the eggs have cooled, peel them and carefully chop into 1-inch pieces.
ADD the cooled potatoes, chopped eggs, and pickles to a large bowl.
GENTLY fold in the mayo mixture. Season the potato salad with salt, pepper, and paprika to taste.
REFRIGERATE at least 1 hour before serving.
The potatoes you choose to use for your potato salad depend on the texture you want.
Yukon Gold or red potatoes are waxy in texture and will hold their shape when mixed with the rest of the salad ingredients.
Russet or Idaho potatoes have a starchy texture that tends to break down when cooked, chopped, and mixed with the other salad ingredients. Potato salad made with this type of potato will turn out creamier as the potato breaks down.
Watery potato salad is usually a result of adding too much liquid. Mixing the mayo and the pickle juice before you add it to the rest of the ingredients can help you to see if it’s to watery.
If you did add too much pickle juice, just add more mayo until it thickens up again.
Your potato salad can also get watery from mixing the mayo with the potatoes before they’re cooled. Make sure you give the potatoes enough time to cool before mixing them with the remaining ingredients.
The easiest way to fix bland potato salad is to add more spices!
For this recipe, start with more salt, pepper, and paprika. If your potato salad is still bland after adding more spices, you can add an additional teaspoon of pickle juice, but just be aware that you may need to add more mayo if your potato salad becomes too watery.
Recipe Tips and Substitutions
You do not need a steamer basket to cook the potatoes in the Instant Pot, but if you put them directly in the inner pot, some of them may get stuck to the bottom. You can add more water to prevent this, but it may take longer for the pressure cooker to come to pressure.
You can use any pickles you like for this potato salad. I used sandwich slices because that’s what I had on hand, but you can use spears or whole pickles. You could also use different flavors if you want a sweeter taste.
It does take time for the potatoes to cool and for the potato salad to chill, so make sure you give yourself enough time to prepare this recipe before you’ll need to serve it.
If you need to speed up the cooling process, I find it’s best to cool the potatoes in the refrigerator or freezer.
More Like This
Looking for more summer side dish ideas? You’ll love these!
- Tri Color Pasta Salad with Italian Dressing
- Baked Beans with Ground Beef and Bacon
- BLT Salad with Avocado
- Rotini Pasta Salad
And if you’d like to get a 4-week meal plan featuring my recipes, just enter your email in the form above and you’ll get it straight to your inbox!
- 4 medium russet potatoes
- 1½ cups of water
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup dill pickles, chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons pickle juice
- Salt, pepper, and paprika, to taste
- Peel and chop potatoes into 1-inch cubes.
- Pour water into the inner pot of your Instant Pot and then insert the steamer basket.
- Add the chopped potatoes to the steamer basket and place eggs on top of the potatoes.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, lock it and make sure the valve is set to seal.
- Select pressure cook, make sure HIGH pressure is selected, and set the timer for 4 minutes.
- While the potatoes and eggs are cooking, chop dill pickles into bite-sized pieces until you have 3/4 cup.
- Mix 1 cup of mayonnaise and 2 teaspoons of pickle juice in a small bowl.
- When the potatoes and eggs are done, release the pressure by turning the valve to vent.
- Carefully remove the eggs and place them in a bowl of ice water. Remove the potatoes and spread them on a large baking sheet in a single layer to cool.
- Once the eggs have cooled, peel them and carefully chop into 1-inch pieces.
- Add the cooled potatoes, chopped eggs, and pickles to a large bowl.
- Gently mix in the mayo mixture. Season the potato salad with salt, pepper, and paprika to taste.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 302Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 438mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g